Servings: 8 Prep time: 30 mins. Cook time: 40 mins. Total time: 1 hr and 10 mins.
2 ½ pounds beef tenderloin
4 tablespoons butter, softened, divided
2 tablespoons butter
1 onion, chopped
½ cup sliced fresh mushrooms
2 ounces liver pate
salt and pepper to taste
1 (17.5 ounce) package frozen puff pastry, thawed
1 large egg yolk, beaten
1 (10.5 ounce) can beef broth
2 tablespoons red wine
1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F
2. Place beef tenderloin in a small baking dish. Spread 2 tablespoons softened butter over beef.
3. Bake in the preheated oven until browned, 10 to 15 minutes. Remove beef from the pan; allow to cool completely. Reserve pan juices.
4. Increase oven temperature to 450 degrees F
5. Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a skillet over medium heat. Sauté onion and mushrooms in butter for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool.
6. Mix together paté and 2 tablespoons softened butter in a bowl; season with salt and pepper. Spread paté mixture over beef. Top with onion and mushroom mixture.
7. Roll out puff pastry dough to about 1/4-inch thickness and place beef in the center. Fold up and seal all the edges, making sure the seams are not too thick. Place beef in a 9x13-inch baking dish, cut a few slits in the top of dough, and brush with egg yolk.
8. Bake in the preheated oven for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 425 degrees F and continue baking until pastry is a rich, golden brown, 10 to 15 minutes. Set aside and keep warm.
9. Place reserved pan juices in a small saucepan over high heat. Stir in beef broth and red wine; boil until slightly reduced, 10 to 15 minutes. Strain and serve with beef.