THE REVERSE SEAR TECHNIQUE
by Cindy Licht on Apr 12, 2022
THE REVERSE SEAR TECHNIQUE FOR ALL PROTEINS.
This technique is ideal for the home chefs that don't want to be a slave to the grill!
This technique is also ideal if you like to prep your product in advance - it makes for an easy time the day of the party - Let's get grillin.
1. Take your meat, chicken, pork, lamb, or any roast and season to your liking. I keep it super simple because our meat speaks for itself. Salt, Pepper, and a simple rub of fresh garlic are all that it needs.
2. Preheat the oven, grill, or smoker to 225 degrees and place a meat thermometer in the thickest part of the protein. I like the Meater as my thermometer - it is built for BBq's and high heat. Since we are talking steak - I like to set the alarm on my meater to 115, so it comes out very rare.
3. Now, I can hold it till party time or simply remove it from the heat source, and you have two options. You can finish in a cast iron, or you can finish on the grill - this is why we call it "reverse sear."
- 3a. If we are doing cast-iron - place the cast iron pan on the fire and crank it up till smoking with your favorite fat - I like a touch of Avocado oil - it has the highest smoke point. You can add in some aromatics like rosemary and more garlic for the last minute with some fresh butter. You will sear for about 2 minutes on each side to form a nice crust and cook til Med-Rare - follow the meat doneness guide and cook to your likeness.
- 3b. If you are going on the grill - preheat the grill to 500 degrees. Lightly coat steaks with your favorite oil. Again, I like avocado oil. Grill for 2-3 minutes on each side for Med-Rare - follow the meat doneness guide and cook to your likeness.
4. THE MOST IMPORTANT STEP - remove from the cast iron or the grill and allow to rest for 10 -15 minutes - I typically will tent with foil very loose.
5. Then slice against the grain and serve immediately - reserve juices and serve alongside!
6. Finishing salt is a nice touch too!