THE REVERSE SEAR TECHNIQUE FOR ALL PROTEINS.
This technique is ideal for the home chefs that don't want to be a slave to the grill!
This technique is also ideal if you like to prep your product in advance - it makes for an easy time the day of the party - Let's get grillin.
1. Take your meat, chicken, pork, lamb, or any roast and season to your liking. I keep it super simple because our meat speaks for itself. Salt, Pepper, and a simple rub of fresh garlic are all that it needs.
2. Preheat the oven, grill, or smoker to 225 degrees and place a meat thermometer in the thickest part of the protein. I like the Meater as my thermometer - it is built for BBq's and high heat. Since we are talking steak - I like to set the alarm on my meater to 115, so it comes out very rare.
3. Now, I can hold it till party time or simply remove it from the heat source, and you have two options. You can finish in a cast iron, or you can finish on the grill - this is why we call it "reverse sear."
- 3a. If we are doing cast-iron - place the cast iron pan on the fire and crank it up till smoking with your favorite fat - I like a touch of Avocado oil - it has the highest smoke point. You can add in some aromatics like rosemary and more garlic for the last minute with some fresh butter. You will sear for about 2 minutes on each side to form a nice crust and cook til Med-Rare - follow the meat doneness guide and cook to your likeness.
- 3b. If you are going on the grill - preheat the grill to 500 degrees. Lightly coat steaks with your favorite oil. Again, I like avocado oil. Grill for 2-3 minutes on each side for Med-Rare - follow the meat doneness guide and cook to your likeness.
4. THE MOST IMPORTANT STEP - remove from the cast iron or the grill and allow to rest for 10 -15 minutes - I typically will tent with foil very loose.
5. Then slice against the grain and serve immediately - reserve juices and serve alongside!
6. Finishing salt is a nice touch too!