Prep time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 15 mins
Total time: 30 mins
Makes 4 servings
- 2 lbs mussels, cleaned and debearded
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 thai chilli, finely chopped (can substitute pinch of chilli flakes)
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1 (13.5 oz) can of coconut milk
- Kosher salt
- 1 stalk lemongrass, chopped into 4 and smashed
- 3 makrut lime leaves (optional)
- Cilantro and lime wedges for garnish
1. place mussels in a bowl of cold water so the mussels spit out and sand or mud. let them sit for at least 10 mins. Drain and repeat until the water comes out clean. Debeard the mussels and place them in a bowl of cold water until ready to use.
2. Heat oil in large pot on medium high heat, then add onions and stir for a few minutes until they become soft and slightly translucent. Add chilies, ginger, and curry powder and stir for a minute until fragrant.
3. Add chicken broth and reduce half. Add the coconut milk, salt, lemongrass, and makrut limes leaves and bring to a boil.
4. Drain and add the mussels, reduce heat to medium and cover with tight fitting lid. Cook for 6 to 7 mins until the mussels open.
spoon mussels into bowls and pour over with broth. Garnish with chopped cilantro and juice from lime wedges - Enjoy!