- 1 dozen Littleneck Clams
- 3 tablespoons Minced Onion
- 1/2 cup Butter
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh Parsley
- 1 clove Garlic. minced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon clam juice (or cooking liquid from steaming the clams)
- Salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan Cheese
1. Fill large pot with 1 1/2 to 2 inches of water. Bring water to a boil and add clams. Reduce the heat to a simmer and let the clams steam for about 6 to 10 mins, until the shells open
2. remove clams from the pot and let them cool enough to handle. discard any clams that have not opened.
3. Separate the meat from the shells (not the clam foot which is attached to the shell) and mince finely.
4. Break apart the clam shells from their hinges and rinse to clean.
5. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and place a rack in the center of the oven.
6. In a Saute pan, melt butter on medium heat and add minced onion. Once the onions have softened (2 to 3 mins) add the garlic
7. Cook garlic for 1 minute, then add parsley, bread crumbs, minced clams, lemon juice and clam juice. Stir until the stuffing mixture is completely moistened. (if too dry you can add more butter or clam juice; if too wet add more breadcrumbs)
8. Lay clam shells in baking dish and scoop a little stuffing mixture into each shell. sprinkle with grated Parmesan
9. Bake at 350 for about 20 to 25 minutes, until parmesan is lightly browned on top.