Here's a recipe we've been enjoying for generations! A perfect dish to add to your Feast of the Seven Fish table!
1 lb Baccala or Salted Cod
1/2 cup of Dried Breadcrumbs
1/2 cup of Milk
2 1/2 cups of Mashed Potatoes
2 tablespoons of Melted Butter
1/2 teaspoon of Pepper
1 dash of Hot Pepper Sauce
1/4 cup of Vegetable oil
2 tablespoons of Chopped Fresh Parsley
- Soak the fish in cold water for at least 6 hours or overnight.
- Change the water at least 3 times during the soaking.
- Remove the fish from the water and rinse well.
- Place it in a saucepan filled with fresh cold water and set it over medium-high heat.
- Bring the mixture to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes.
- Drain the fish and let stand until cool enough to handle.
- Combine the breadcrumbs and milk in a small bowl and let soak.
- Using a fork, flake the fish, removing any bones, into a large bowl.
- Add the bread crumb mixture, the potatoes, butter, pepper, and hot pepper sauce.
- Mix until well combined.
- Form the mixture into 2 1/2-inch cakes.
- Heat half the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Cook until the cakes are browned on both sides, about 2 minutes per side.