Makes 4-6 servings
- 2 lbs Mussels, washed and beards removed
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, peeled and crushed
- 8 ounces pancetta, diced small
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1.75 cups of hard cider
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- Lots of freshly chopped parsley
- Salt and black pepper to taste
1. Place a large pot over a high heat and brown the pancetta pieces until just golden and sizzling. Add in a knob of butter, allow it to melt, and then add the onion and garlic. Cook gently for 3 minutes until the onion is soft.
2. Add in the cider and allow to bubble away for a few minutes so all the flavors mingle in together. Tumble in the mussels, cover with a lid, and allow them to steam for about 4 minutes until they open, making sure to give the pot a good shake once or twice during the cooking time.
3. Remove from the heat, stir in the cream and parsley, and season with sea salt and ground black pepper.
4. Serve with some crusty bread to mop up the liquid!