Fast yet fancy! Clams Casino is a perfect appetizer or side dish to enjoy around the holidays. This dish is simply but delicious, it's basically just fresh clams topped with breadcrumbs and bacon, and broiled till crispy.
- 24 little neck clams
- 12 oz of sliced bacon
- 1/3 cup of finely chopped red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup of finely chopped yellow onion
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1 cup of breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons of fresh parsley leaves, finely chopped
1. Arrange an oven rack to the second-highest position and turn on the broiler. Meanwhile, place the clams on a rimmed baking sheet on the counter until they start to open. Use your hands to fully open and separate the shell halves. Using a sharp knife, carefully cut the clam meat from the shell, then place back in the shell, on the baking sheet. Drain the liquid off the baking sheet or transfer the clams to a clean baking sheet.
2. Working in batches, place the bacon in a large skillet over low heat and cook until just starting to brown but before it becomes crispy. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate. Once cooled, crumble the bacon into small pieces. Drain off all but 1/4 cup of the bacon grease from the skillet.
3. Add the onion, pepper, and garlic to the skillet and sauté over medium heat until the onions are translucent and the peppers are very soft, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl.
4. Add the breadcrumbs, parsley, and crumbled bacon, and stir to combine. Divide the bread crumb mixture among the clams, pressing it into a compact mound on top of each
5. Broil the clams until the bread crumbs are browned, the bacon is crispy, and clams are just cooked, 3 to 5 minutes. Use tongs to transfer to a serving platter, and serve immediately.