Seared Scallops Topped with Caviar Over Creamy Miso Mushroom Risotto
Serves 8 - 10
RISOTTO (8 to 10 Servings – Go Big!)
12 cups low-sodium (or salt free) Chicken or Vegetable Stock
4 TBSP White Miso Paste
6 TBSP Roasted Garlic EVOO
2 TBSP Butter
6 Scallion Stalks, thinly sliced (reserve 2 TBSP for garnish)
1 lb. Shiitake Mushrooms, stemmed and thinly sliced
3 cups Arborio Rice
1 cup white wine
1 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
Toasted Sesame Seeds for garnish
SCALLOPS & CAVIAR
1 lb. Fresh Scallops, lightly seasoned on both sides with salt and pepper
1 TBSP Butter
2 TBSP Roasted Garlic EVOO
0.5 oz. Royal Osetra Sturgeon Caviar
- Add stock to medium pot and bring to a boil over high heat. Add Miso and dissolve. Once boiling, reduce heat to low. Keep nearby.
- Heat olive oil in a wide and deep pan (remember rice expands when cooked) over medium heat. Add the scallions and cook, stirring frequently, until translucent.
- Add shiitake mushrooms and butter. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms have cooked down.
- Add rice and stir until fully coated in the mushroom mixture. Toast rice 1-2 minutes until fragrant.
- Add wine and cook until wine has evaporated, stirring occasionally.
- Add 1 cup of the stock and stir to combine. Cook, stirring frequently, until stock is fully absorbed.
- Continue to add stock, ½ cup at a time, stirring continuously, until the broth is fully absorbed, for about 20 minutes. Depending on how fast the rice cooks, there may be leftover stock.
- Once the rice is al dente, remove from heat. Add the cheese, stir to combine.
- Plate, top with scallions and sesame seeds.
Scallops: Pat scallops dry with paper towel. Heat EVOO and melt butter into it on high heat. Sear scallops 2 minutes on each side. Do not move them while searing.
THE MUSHROOM DELUXE SHOW (OPTIONAL)
For serious mushroom lovers, I used an additional ½ lb. Mixed Wild Mushrooms (Chef’s Mix you can get at Wholefoods or your local market; includes Maitake, Oyster, Trumpet, Enokitake), stemmed, roughly cut, seasoned with red pepper flakes, black pepper, touch of salt, and pan roasted in Roasted Garlic EVOO. Place on top of risotto (looks really cool) or serve as a side. This takes an extra 8 minutes.
Add the Scallops to the Risotto and top with Caviar.